August 29, 2023
Editorial / Design Internship
Intern with Metropolis!
- Opportunities throughout the year are now available.
- Minimum time frame 3 months, 3 full days per week (many of our interns choose to join us for longer).
What you’ll learn:
- A Metropolis editorial internship enables you to become familiar with multimedia and communications techniques, journalism, design, editing, proofreading, client work and general business as a creative in a multi-national environment in Tokyo, Japan.
- Put into practice in a real-life environment your theoretical knowledge and skills, and grasp the structure and functioning of a multimedia and marketing organization.
- Work with our editorial and design team, as well as collaborate with our sales and marketing team.
- We will tailor your internship to hone your interests and skill sets. Responsibilities could include writing articles, building your writing/design portfolio, attending press events, editing, proofreading, translation, photography, website management, events management, social media assistance, research, article fact-checking and proofreading, illustration, design tasks etc…
- Candidates should be proactive team players who are enthusiastic, organized and always use their initiative.
- For an editorial position, the candidate must have fluency in English and ideally have strong Japanese language skills.
- The work is in an international environment in the popular Roppongi district in Tokyo – so you must be prepared to work both in person in our office and remotely.
- Proven English-language written ability and talent.
- Intern positions are unpaid positions although a commutation allowance and certain expenses are provided under certain conditions.
- It is expected that the intern covers his or her own living arrangements and day-to-day expenses.
- Interns are provided a desk when working in-person, a computer and other resources depending on the type of tasks assigned.
- Candidates must currently be based in Tokyo to apply or have concrete plans to move to Tokyo already in place prior to application.
- Working hours are flexible but can be expected to be sometime within the normal office hours, which are from 9:30am to 6:30pm, at least 2-3 days per week, Monday to Friday.
- Depending on the success of the internship and the particular intern’s own goals, full-time, freelance or part-time employment opportunities are also possible.
- While the internship is mainly an editorial position, design students with a passion and proven skill for writing are also welcome to apply.
How to apply:
- Please submit an English-language CV to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a brief cover letter introducing yourself and why you would be fit for the role.
- Please include in your email 2 – 3 writing samples. If you have not written a published article before, please submit other examples of your work (ideally not a university essay, but this will suffice if you have nothing else).
- If you are interested in design tasks during your internship as well as editorial duties, please also submit your design portfolio.
- Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to all internship inquiries. Please ensure that you fulfill the criteria ahead of submitting your application to us.
- Applicants must already be in Japan, or have concrete plans to be in Japan for at least 3 months.
- We cannot provide working visas for internship roles.