Akasaka (from ¥610)
A unique beer bar that serves exclusively Hokkaido Craft Beer produced by Otaru Beer, among other seasonal craft beers in real horns.
- July’s Seasonal Horn is the Black Horn (¥710), which is a German Schwarzbier. For August, try the Stout Horn (¥710)—an Irish-style chocolatey beer that’s wonderful in the summer heat.
- Enjoy any of the pizzas (¥700-¥1,000), or traditional Bavarian food like the Pork Schnitzel (¥1,000) with your beer. Or add more spice to your life by ordering the Fire Chicken (¥1,000).
- The Oktoberfest Horn (¥710), served in September, is a malty beer exactly like those sold in Munich at the original Oktoberfest.
- Mention Metropolis and receive 10 percent off your total. (Cannot be combined with any other offers.)
Dobashi Bldg. B1, 3-17-8 Akasaka, Minato-ku. Tel: 03-3568-4690. Open 5pm-11:30pm. Nearest station: Akasaka Mitsuke or Akasaka. www.beerhorn.jp. http://www.facebook.com/Beer.Horn
Buffalo Wings & Smile Tokyo
Otsuka (from ¥2,000)
An American-style restaurant where buffalo wings are served with your choice of American craft beer.
- An assortment of American craft beer served both on tap and bottled (¥799).
- Buffalo wings are a perfect match for any beer! Choose from 17 different sauces!
- No regular tap; instead, a rotation of American craft beers is served, focusing mainly on IPAs with deep, hoppy flavors.
- Bring the July 10 copy of Metropolis and receive an extra piece of either buffalo or boneless chicken wings.
1F Hosaka Bldg., 3-52-2 Minami Otsuka, Toshima-ku. Tel: 03-5927-9727. Open Tue-Fri 5:30-11pm, Sat 12-11pm, Sun and hols 12-10pm, Closed Mon. Nearest station: Otsuka. www.facebook.com/buffalowingsandsmiletokyo
Craft Beer Bar Adagio
Ningyocho (from ¥2,000)
A beer bar that serves eight kinds of draft beer and more than fifty kinds of bottled beer.
- Try a huge variety of craft beer (from ¥600) and enjoy the diverse range of unique flavors on offer.
- It might sound simple and cliché, but edamame with beer is the best combo. Every Monday night there is live music to add to your beer experience!
- 650ml big-bottled American craft beer offers a strong but well-balanced flavor. Certain to entertain your taste buds!
- No table charge and receive ¥100 off any pint of beer (¥50 if you order a half pint) when you mention Metropolis
8F Gyokueido bldg, 2-3-2 Nihonbashi-Ningyocho, Chuo-ku. Tel: 03-3661-2328. Open 5pm-1am (visit the website below for further information). Nearest station: Ningyocho, Hamacho, or Suitengumae. http://meturl.com/craftbeerbaradagio
Various (from ¥1,000)
Devilicious pizza and fascinating craft beer for aficionados at an affordable price.
- The only deep-dish, Chicago-style pizza in Tokyo. The dough is made daily—as are the house sauce and sausage—and aged overnight to enhance flavor.
- Try Devil Craft’s signature “The Devil Works” pizza (L ¥3,500) with an American IPA or Pale Ale. The three types of cheese, meat, and seven different veggies pair wonderfully with full-flavored beers.
- There are no pizzas on the menu containing corn or mayonnaise.
- Happy Hour is 5-6pm on weekdays, and until 5pm on weekends where craft beers are ¥100 off.
Kanda: Ishikawa Bldg, 4-2-3 Nihonbashi-muromachi,Chuo-ku. Tel: 03-6265-1779. Nearest station: Kanda. Hamamatsucho: 1F Risewell Bldg, 2-13-12 Hamamatsucho, Minato-ku. Tel: 03-6435-8428. Open Mon-Fri 5-11pm, Sat 11:30am-11pm, Sun 11:30am-10pm (weekend brunch 11:30am-3pm), Hols 3-10pm. Nearest station: Hamamatsucho. http://en.devilcraft.jp
Various (from ¥1,100)
Order your pizza online, completely in English, and have it at your door in just 30 minutes.
- Specializing in American-style pizza, including cheese-crust and Mille-Feuille (a double-layered pizza base sandwiching a delicious layer of cheese). You can even create your own pizza on the website.
- Try the “Brooklyn Kings” deep-pan pizza with pepperoni (XL ¥3,200). Nothing beats downing a nice, cold beer with a huge slice of this great pie.
- Domino’s “Chargrilled Beef” pizza (M ¥2,600; L ¥3,900) is only available in Japan and is really something special. The beef is grilled to perfection and the smell of charcoal is sure to get your appetite going.
- Use code “MT-CL” for a free 1.5-liter Coca-Cola with your pizza! (Can be used in-store, via phone or online). Valid until Nov 30.
Stores nationwide. Tel: 0120-838-204. Open 11am-Midnight (depending on location). www.dominos.jp/eng/
The Dubliners’ Irish Pub
Various (from ¥800)
A true Irish gathering place in the heart of Tokyo that welcomes you and your friends with Guinness and Kilkenny beer, traditional Irish pub grub, and Celtic music performances.
- Draft Guinness and Kilkenny (¥850/pint) are on tap, plus enjoy premium Japanese beers.
- Try the Beer-battered Fish and Chips (¥850) for an authentic Irish pub experience. Also the Fried Cheese Balls (¥600) or the Sausage Plate (¥1,400).
- Try the Pub’s Japanese premium beers, different at each branch such as Kohaku Ebisu (¥650/glass), Shiro Honoka (¥800/glass), Craft Label (¥650/glass).
Shibuya: 03-5459-1736. Shinjuku: 03-3352-6606. Shinagawa: 03-6718-2834. Ikebukuro: 03-5951-3614. Akasaka: 03-3539-3615. Check the website for address and hours: www.dubliners.jp
Finger Licking African Kitchen & Bar
Shinjuku (from ¥3,000)
Open the doors and you’ll step into a whole new world of Africa, allowing you to experience African music, food, and drinks.
- The Gulder, which is directly shipped from Nigeria, gives you the a taste of the true Africa through its top-shared beer (¥800).
- There’s also Star beer from Ghana (¥800), a smooth beverage that pairs well with pizza. Try the chicken suya, which is fried chicken flavored with unique African spices (¥500).
- We have Malta (¥800), a non-alcoholic beverage with a flavor similar to beer that’s very popular in the Caribbean and Africa.
- Mention Metropolis and receive ¥500 off your total.
5D, J Bldg., 2-20-10 Kabukicho, Shinjuku-ku. Tel: 080-4449-2404. Open 4:30pm-5:30am. Nearest station: Shinjuku, Seibu-Shinjuku, or Shinjuku-sanchome.
Franziskaner Bar and Grill
Roppongi (lunch from ¥1,200, dinner from ¥3,000)
A great place to try draft beer imported from Germany and authentic German cuisine.
- Franziskaner Weissbier (¥1,242) is the most popular traditional beer in Munich. This is a white beer that has a hoppy and fruity flavor with hints of banana and plum.
- The Assorted Grilled Sausage Plate, a filling dish with four kinds of grilled sausages, potatoes, and sauerkraut imported from Germany (¥4,298), is a wonderful pairing with your beer.
- Doellnitzer Ritterguts Gose (¥1,836) is aged by lactic acid bacteria and flavored with salt and coriander, as is traditional in Leipzig. Pairs exceptionally with eisbein, a traditional German ham.
- Mention Metropolis and receive 8 percent off your total during dinner time. (after 5pm).
Roppongi Hills, Metro Hat 1F, 6-4-1 Roppongi, Minato-ku. Tel: 03-5786-6867. Open 11am-2am. Nearest station: Roppongi. http://meturl.com/franziskaner
Ishigama Bar Gaburi Voco
Shibuya (from ¥500)
A one-coin pizzeria bar serving over 20 types of pizza. At ¥500 each, Ishigama’s thin-crust pizza comes with a choice of tomato sauce, white sauce, or a special base, with a variety of meat and veggie toppings. We also offer tapas and dessert pizzas.
- Ishigama’s specialty is light pizza with a thin crust, served crispy and hot right from the oven.
- Try the Super Spicy Mexican pizza (¥500), which is hot and spicy, and goes down well with an ice-cold beer!
- One pizza is topped with vegetables from Kyoto (¥500) and another is influenced by Japanese flavors, topped with Teriyaki chicken (¥500).
- No table charge for Metropolis readers. ¥4,000 party course: for parties over 20 people, two people are free.
Lions Mansion Dogenzaka 106, 2-19-3 Dogenzaka, Shibuya-ku. Tel: 03-3496-8989. Open 6pm-1am. Nearest station: Shibuya or Shinsen. http://meturl.com/gaburi
Sun 2 Diner
Meguro (lunch from ¥2,000, dinner from ¥3,000)
It’s like a trip to San Diego when you step into this diner filled with Mexican fare and Californian craft beer.
- Sun 2 Diner serves a wide selection of craft beer, mostly from California.
- You can’t go wrong with Macaroni & Cheese (¥680) or Buffalo Wings (¥730)! Nothing beats hearty, homey food with a delicious craft beer. Feel as if you’ve been transported to the USA!
- Shiga Kogen is an American-style brewery representing Japan on the craft beer circuit. Their Indian Summer Saison (¥800 for a 300ml glass, ¥950 for a 470ml pint) is recommended for both beginners and beer nerds.
Ogawa Building 1F, 2-43-11 Kamimeguro, Meguro-ku. Tel: 03-5724-3330. Open weekdays 11am-3pm, 6pm-10pm (closed Wednesday) Weekends & hols 11am-4pm, 6pm-10pm. Nearest station: Nakameguro or Yutenji. http://sun2diner.com/
Various (lunch from ¥900, dinner from ¥2,000)
A Seattle-based restaurant where you can enjoy reasonably-priced craft beers and pizza baked in an authentic oven (Kabutocho location only).
- The Stone IPA (from ¥600) is the house beer for the Shiba-Koen location.
- The 100-percent juicy-beef Bacon Cheddar Burger (¥1,300) or the BLT Pizza (¥1,400).
- We have craft beers from California, Washington, and Oregon, which are rarely seen in Tokyo restaurants.
- Mention Metropolis Beer Special and receive your first craft beer for ¥650 (offer valid until end of August, cannot be combined with other discounts).
Shibakoen: 2-3-27 Shibakoen, Minato-ku. 03-6435-6633. Open 7am-11pm. Nearest station: Daimon, Onarimon, or Hamamatsucho. Nihonbashi Kabutocho: 6-5 Nihonbashi Kabutocho, Chuo-ku. Tel: 03-5614-0664. Open 7am-10:30pm. Nearest station: Kayabacho or Nihonbashi. www.vashon.jp
Shibuya (from ¥1,500)
Escape the hustle and bustle of Shibuya for a cold drink and a relaxing meal. Salute!
- Handmade 12-inch pizzas from ¥950! Ventuno’s unique thin-crust pizza dough is chewy and soft if you choose the tomato sauce-based Rosso, and crispy if you opt for a less-saucy Bianco that doesn’t contain any tomato sauce.
- Pizza Capricciosa (¥1,350) with spicy salami and plenty of cheese goes great with beer. Various types of craft beer are provided for just ¥900.
- Pizza Ventuno with a soft-boiled egg, salad spinach, Italian ham, and cheese will surely satisfy your hunger (¥1,350).
- Visit twice and get 15 percent off your second order!
Takagi bldg. B1F, 24-1 Udagawacho, Shibuya-ku. Tel: 03-3477-1199. Open Sun-Thu: 11:30am-11pm, Fri & Sat 11:30am-midnight. Nearest station: Shibuya.