The season for the year’s first batches of green tea is upon us, and there are many ways to enjoy it. But did you know you can turn used green tea leaves into rice toppings? Furikake made with used tea leaves and other healthy ingredients lets you enjoy the wonderful fragrance of green tea, and goes well with rice, salad, tofu, or grilled meat and fish.
- Cooking time: 15 min
- 4 tbsp used tea leaves
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 1 sachet (3g) dried bonito shavings (katsuobushi)
- 2 tbsp boiled, dried baby sardines (chirimenjako)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sake
- 1 tsp salt
- In frying pan, fry used tea leaves without oil on very low heat.
- Add sesame seeds, bonito, and sardines to pan, and keep frying on low until the ingredients dry completely.
- Add soy sauce and sake to the mix. Stir gently but quickly to blend ingredients well. Continue frying to evaporate the moisture.
- Turn off heat and add salt.
- Store in dry, cool place with sealed container and consume within a week.
Leave a comment