Recipe: Takenoko Mazegohan
- 50g inari-tofu, cut into strips
- 1¾ cup (385 ml) dashi
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp sake
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- 1¾ cup (350g) rice
- 200g boiled takenoko, chopped
- Chopped mizuna, shungiku, or other greens, to serve
- Add tofu strips to a small frying pan over a medium-high heat, and fry for 1 to 2 min or until just browned.
- Add dashi, mirin, sake, soy sauce, and salt into a saucepan. Stir to combine and dissolve salt.
- Add rice, then sprinkle over takenoko and fried tofu. Cover with a lid and place on the stove over a high heat. Bring just to boil, then turn heat to low. Cook for 15 min, then turn off heat and allow to sit for 10 min. It’s important to keep the lid on for the entire cooking process to keep the steam from escaping.
- Remove the lid and use a fork to gently fluff the rice and mix through the takenoko and tofu. This can be done in the saucepan or after transferring to a larger bowl.
- To serve, spoon rice into separate bowls and sprinkle over some chopped mizuna.