Recipe: Karasumi Daikon
- 1 sac of karasumi (dried, salted mullet roe), approx 12-15cm long
- 10cm length of daikon, sliced 3mm thick (apple, pear, and cucumber also work well)
- Drinking or cooking sake (optional; this softens the karasumi and adds a little extra aroma)
- Ponzu or sesame oil, to serve (optional)
- Remove skin from karasumi.
- Rub roe with sake. Add a little extra sake to a frying pan.
- Heat the frying pan over a medium-high heat, and fry roe for 30 sec to 1 min on each side.
- Once skin is crispy and the inside is still slightly soft and moist, remove karasumi from pan and cut into 3mm-thick slices.
- Arrange karasumi and daikon slices on a plate, alternating the order. Serve as is or with a little ponzu or sesame oil.